Saturday, September 26, 2015

Poes in Boots

Perhaps one of the best things about my recent move has been having housemates. While I was living on my own, I really thought I was content (at least, most of the time). Indeed, one of my biggest concerns in the weeks leading up to the move was having to learn to live with people again. I had gotten used to being on my own, taking a shower when I felt like it, making dinner while having Netflix on in the background, talking to myself out loud, you know, the usual things you do when you're on your own. Having to navigate two other people's schedules was a seemingly daunting task. Looking back at those anxieties, I have to laugh. These past three weeks have been really fantastic and I think both my mood and productivity have skyrocketed.


Now, while I try never to play favourites, I must confess that there is one housemate for whom I have a soft spot. Poes is Ceciel's cat and I must say that living with an animal again has really been amazing. Those of you who have read my other blog know that back home in the States, I have three lovely ferrets, Chase, Enzo, and Lamborghini. I miss them a great deal every day I'm here. I grew up always having pets in the house and one of the hardest things about living in the UK is that I had to leave them behind. My parents take excellent care of them and I know through Skype sessions that they are doing well and are happy. I also know that Lambo is still being his very mischievous and naughty self in my absence. So while I can't have my babies with me (yes, I'm one of those people whose pets are like their children), I have been able to have some bonding time with Poes.

These are my babies back in the US. Lamborghini, Chase (on top), and Enzo.

Over the past two weeks or so, Poes and I have had occasion to spend a lot of time together. He really is quite a sweet cat who enjoys cuddles (up to a point), exploring our back "garden," and trying desperately to apprehend his arch nemesis the laser pointer. When Ceciel had to be away for a few nights, he took to snuggling up in my bed. It was really lovely, though I must admit, it's far easier to snuggle with the ferrets in bed as they tend to take up less room and sort of enjoy keeping to themselves. When I woke in the middle of the night in a shape resembling that of a pretzel in order to keep from disturbing His Majesty Sir Poes, I decided that while I enjoyed having him sleep there, I couldn't give up all my comfort for his sake.

This was the first night, Poes decided to climb into the TARDIS bed.
Unfortunately it's not bigger on the inside.

This was my view when I woke up the next morning.

He was very tolerant of my need to capture the moment.

But then he was ready for breakfast. Note the disapproving stare.

Sometimes, Poes can be quite silly. He was playing on the stairs when he flopped over rather dramatically and lay in this position for about five minutes. Ceciel and I were puzzled by his wild-eyed stare, but I think someone found a stash of catnip somewhere.

Even Dutch cats like to sit in boxes. It's one of the universal laws of feline-ness.

Waking up from a nap to a smiling kitty in your lap is one of the best feelings.




On a separate note, it would be remiss of me to publish this post without mentioning an important anniversary which happened yesterday. Two years ago on the 25 September, I moved to the UK for the very first time. No one is more shocked than I am that it has been two years. Now full confession, there was a four month hiatus between my Master's degree and when I began my PhD when I moved back home and I did spend a month traveling in the US between April and May of this year, but the majority of the past two years, I've spent living as an expat. It makes me feel all sorts of things when I really try to think about what that means. I think, despite the mountain of student loan debt, the homesickness, the wrenching feeling I have when I think of all the things I am missing back home, I am exceedingly lucky to be on this adventure. It's not something I genuinely thought I would do and it's moments like these that really encourage me not to take a moment for granted.

Ready for more adventures...

2 comments:

  1. The second shot of Poes is probably one of the things I miss most about Willy. He'd always fall asleep on my chest as a kitten and never really stopped (until Marley took over the downstairs of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have a kitty to cuddle. (Until you want to move that is). :)

      Delete